Among the seemingly countless supplies all new families need is the useful little workhorse known as the burp cloth. While any material can be used as a burp cloth, such as kitchen towels or bits of absorbent fabric, one very cute, crafty burp cloth uses flat fold cloth diapers, and these burp cloths are wonderful. Not only are these burp cloths fabulous for catching spitup, but they are soft and absorbent enough to use on runny noses when the child is older, which makes them a wonderful investment of time and effort. In addition, they are durable enough to use with subsequent children, which will save money, and what new family doesn’t look for ways to do that?
Another good feature of these burp cloths is that they are easily identifiable due to the cute fabric. Bleary-eyed new parents may unintentionally grab for something unsanitary to clean a baby’s face so it can be a really nice thing to have a burp cloth close by.
These burp cloths also make environmentally friendly hand and face wipes for older children. Keep a few dry ones in the diaper bag or backpack for cleanups anywhere there is access to water, or store a few pre-moistened ones in a wet bag or re-sealable plastic bag until needed. Upon returning home, simply toss them into the hamper and launder with the child’s other clothes.
To make these soft, indispensable cloths, follow these steps:
1. Procure flat fold cloth diapers and a few yards of flannel fabric.
2. Wash fabric and diapers in hot water, then dry on high heat to shrink.
3. Lay flannel on a large, flat surface, right side up.
4. Fold a single flat fold diaper in thirds to make a rectangle approximately 8 inches wide and approximately 12 inches long, or any preferred size and thickness.
5. Lay a single, folded diaper on top of the flannel and use sharp scissors to cut around the diaper, leave diaper and flannel stacked together, then set aside. Repeat this step until all diapers have been paired with a piece of cut flannel.
6. Sew diapers to flannel all the way around the outside edge, leaving a three to four inch opening. Reach inside the opening and turn the burp cloth right side out. Stitch opening shut. Top stitch around perimeter of burp cloth if desired.